Thursday, September 30, 2010

Speaking

http://www.giveforward.org/sofias-eating-disorder-treatment-fund
Many people don’t know how to speak up for themselves to other people about the things in which they believe. Some people even have trouble speaking up for themselves to themselves. I’m going to talk about both of those things today. I’m going to talk to you about book banning and about eating disorders, specifically the struggle of a girl named Sofia.
First order of business, speaking out for what you believe. Well I guess this counts as speaking out against something we believe is wrong. For me, and much of the literary masses, this is about the challenging the books put into school curriculum and libraries. One of these has happened very close to me. This is the challenging of books in the Republic school district by a man by the name of Dr. Scroggins. This man claims that certain books are not appropriate for kids that age to be reading. The only thing he should be doing is monitoring the books his own children read. The books are in the curriculum for a reason and they don’t convey anything other books haven’t before. Besides the fact that his kids DON’T EVEN ATTEND THE SCHOOLS! That’s right, these kids are homeschooled.
So the English Society at my school, his workplace, is going to be outside of his building in the afternoon reading some of the books he thought were inappropriate. Hopefully I will have full results of this tomorrow.
And now speaking up for yourself, to yourself. People suffering from eating disorders often don’t seek the help they need, but when someone does, it’s a big step and a long struggle. This is especially true in Sofia’s case. Sofia has been struggling with her eating disorder and trying to get better for over four years now and she has been trying really hard. The problem is the recovery necessary for her is not covered by her insurance. Her family is not financially able to pay for her recovery and she is fully dependent on the support of others. I think this is really a huge thing, Sofia asking for help the way she has been because it means she is fully committed to her recovery. All I ask is that everyone who reads this, click on the link and learn more about Sofia. If you can make a donation, that would be amazing. I would make one if I weren’t a poor college student, but I think about her daily and send my prayers. I hope that you all do the same.

7 comments:

  1. Hope the reading went well, and I hope you were wearing a hat as you were instructed. You are absolutely right that it is hard to speak up, especially for yourself, and I share your sympathy and well-wishes for sofia.

    Some of us were brought up in an era that taught 'silence is golden', but the fact is that sometimes it's just plain yellow.

    Stick to your guns, my Hallie, and thank God you're not yellow.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow...oh you mean golden/silent. Yes, that would be bad. Especially if yellow meant jaundice. Haha, only joking. I didn't have a hat, but the weather was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reviewing some old files and rediscovered this narrative that I wrote back in 1996.

    At the time, I had felt strongly that words were somehow necessary, but never really knew where to speak up.

    (Please forgive my presumptiveness, but the following is a true story...)

    She said he was a really good guy.

    While I was writing necessary information, the married couple who’d given him a roof and roots told me of his Vietnam military service. They said he'd just sort of drifted after the war, living on his Veteran’s Administration check and staying out of trouble by staying out of public.

    The lady of the house then explained with tender regret how today he’d been planning to actually go into town, and that he had asked to be awakened before she and her husband left for church, so he could be clean and dressed by the time they got back. He tended to move slowly, she said, and she’d always assumed it had something to do with the reason he got a check from the VA, but he’d never been forthcoming, and they hadn’t pressed him for details.

    Church was over by ten-thirty, and they had stopped for fuel and groceries before arriving back home a little before twelve. Her husband had taken in the first two bags of groceries and then reappeared almost immediately with the cordless phone in his shaking hand. He'd told his wife to stay by the car while he called us.

    I was first back into the house. My ambulance partner was less than five feet behind me, carrying everything I wasn’t.

    The man in the living room chair was dressed for travel in a coat and hat, and even wore gloves.

    He’d gotten ready to go into town, sat down to wait, and died.

    Whatever he had wanted to do in town would forever remain undone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a great story, very moving and full of emotion. Thanks for posting it here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks...I still periodically think about that poor guy, and how small a ripple his passing made in the pond of life.

    Sucks to be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true. But he isn't if you think of him!

    ReplyDelete