Friday, December 3, 2010

The Ending of a Semester and Feeling Infinite

Remember when we were infinite?


I know I talk a lot about being or feeling infinite, but I truly can't help it. Not when I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I have to admit, I truly can't get enough of this book and if I could only read one book for the rest of my life...it would be this one. I started reading it again Monday night and I've been reading it as a filter, not a sponge, which is something the main character is told to do with one of the books he reads. I see myself as Charlie.
I have always seen myself as Charlie.
No matter how many times I read this book, I always come to the conclusion that I relate most to Charlie, the main character. His thoughts reflect many of my own and even when he goes off on random little thought progressions, I find I think the same way. The character is just a quiet listener and tries not to get in the middle of things. But I also find that I want to be more than just a pair of ears and a shoulder to cry on. Because, as Sam states in the novel, people need arms too. You can only do so much without arms, but arms are needed for taking charge and holding on. And mouths are necessary too. Without a mouth people won't be able to tell others when they do or don't need something. Having only ears can lead to having very one-sided relationships which aren't very helpful to anyone.
So you may be asking yourself, how does this relate to the end of a semester? Let me tell you. My first semester is almost over, I had my last day of actual classes today, and now I feel like I need to soak everything up, feel infinite one more time before the semester is over. I need to be able to speak with my peers and with my family when I see them, and even with friends that I haven't seen in a while. What more could you want to talk about than when you felt infinite. When you had a moment, or series of moments when you felt there was nothing outside of the realm of possibility. When you felt you were ready to face whatever came your way. Also, it makes taking exams and giving presentations a whole lot easier.
For those of you who haven't read this book, I highly suggest it because it will change your life, whether you read it once, or five times.

3 comments: