Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hidden Memories

I read a book today called Circle the Soul Softly. It was a very inspiring book for me as an author because Davida Wills Hurwin does such a wonderful job portraying this girl, Katie, who is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder and doesn't even realize it.

She knows something is wrong with her, and for a long time she believes she is schizophrenic because she has a lot of symptoms common with that disorder. That is until she remembers. You see, her dad was sick when she was younger and died when she was in eighth grade, but she doesn't have a lot of memories of that time. She only has a nightmare in which a monster, who is a man without a face is chasing her. You go through the novel with her and slowly begin to realize things as she does. Then one of her nightmares turns into a memory. The man without a face is her father, and he disappears to her as she disassociates herself from what he is doing to her. Her father came to her room when she was little.

I know this may sound weird to you normal people out there, but sometimes I wonder if I have repressed memories. I guess that's the author in me. I didn't have a good childhood, I've seen things that most people wouldn't imagine a little girl to know about, and it has made me see things differently. I don't think the same way as other people do, and I guess I should be grateful for this because it helps me write. But there's always that little part of me wondering if there is something deep down I don't remember.

I guess that's it for today. I hope I didn't freak you all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment