Monday, April 5, 2010

The Perks of Infinite Playlists

Today I finished a book and started reading another. This isn't an uncommon thing for me to do, but what is uncommon about this is the fact that the novel I finished reading was one I've read twice already in less than five months. It is my favorite book ever, and trust me that is something I don't say lightly.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a work of brilliance that I recommend to everyone who has the ability to read things "as a filter, not a sponge". Don't get me wrong, absorbing this novel is a wonderful thing, but when you can read it and put it in terms of your own life, it's so powerful. Charlie, a freshman living on the edges of the lives of seniors, experiences things that so many of us experience every day, but can never put into our own words. The feelings and actions in the novel are so provoking that it just blows my mind every single time I read it. The author, Stephen Chbosky, is a genius and I would love to possess half the writing ability he has.

This novel always gets me going on the idea of being infinite. At one point in the novel Charlie tells his best friends Patrick and Sam that he feels infinite. At first I could only imagine what this could possibly mean. It sounded so open ended, so open to interpretation. But then it happened to me. This is how I described it to a friend: "I feel like anything could happen. Anything in the realm of possibility, good or bad, could occur right now. The best part of this is that I feel like I could take it. It's insane. It's wonderful. It's overwhelming. It's more than I can say and everything I've ever said. It's just so...infinite. Period."

Also, I started reading Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Will tell you how that goes. Now I will watch some Rocky Horror, one of the things also in Perks. I love this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment