Thursday, March 4, 2010

How We View Others

I will be the first to admit that I judge people, but then let's all be honest, who doesn't? I have had this huge migraine lately and I'm sure I've snapped at people and I tend to speak my mind more when I'm angry rather than when I'm happy. That is one of the things I'm sure people pick up on and I'm sure they think of me as an angry person because I'm not as vocal about when I'm happy. Actually, I'm usually a quiet person, so when I'm upset people notice because I will be talking.

I've realized lately, as the end of my high school career approaches that I really need to work on how I interact with people- let them see me smile, talk about good times, etc. I also need to mend the way I view others. Sometimes I don't consider all the factors people have to deal with when I'm talking to them, and this is trouble for me, an inspiring author, because I need to think of people having more than one dimension. I need to consider the things that might be going on at a person's home or at school or any number of things before I speak. This occurred to me as I told one of my friends to stop talking about a particular subject the other day that made me uncomfortable, and I thought I had explained to him why before. I had thought him completely insensitive at the time, but I hadn't realized that he'd completely forgotten the situation I had explained to him and why that made me uncomfortable. Then I thought about how often I said something that might make someone else feel awkward without realizing it. How quick I was to judge.

I challenge everyone to think about what they say and how they talk to people. You don't know what makes people act the way they do, and you never know how what you say can affect the people you say things to. Remember, people are never just one thing, they are various things and experiences that create the one person that acts in a particular way for reasons that you may not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment